10 Amazing Self-Care Tips
for Overworked Women
By: Zakiyya Rosebelle | July 5, 2017
Make yourself a priority in life with delightful self-care activities.
Follow your dreams, work hard, and achieve your goals, but remember the importance and joy of making yourself a priority in life.
How I Discovered True Happiness
It was the beginning of summer and a bright beautiful day in June when I opened my birthday present from my then fiancé, now husband. I received two gorgeous hat boxes that held inside a colorful and most charming collection of tea sets that captivated my heart. I was so excited; this was my first real tea set, and I wanted to have my first tea party! I could not however, wait for the months to pass and a holiday to present the opportunity to host the tea party.
And so, I started to have tea in my dainty tea cups around four o’clock in the afternoon on the ever comfy, sunlit chair in my mom’s Paris-themed parlor. I sipped from the beautiful cup—my fingers gingerly gripping the gilded handle. I indulged in a beloved sweet confection, and gazed out the window, admiring the magnificence of nature, living in the moment wholeheartedly.
It was a moment of peace, calmness, comfort, and bliss. It was then that I realized that moments like these are those that make life beautiful. It was this moment, and countless many more like this, that inspired me to take time every day to indulge myself in life’s sweet little luxuries. This is when my self-care routine was born. This is when I realized the importance and joy of making yourself a priority in life.
You see, before this, I went to college, and I worked on my blog, book, and business from the time I rose at dawn ‘til the ungodly hours of two or three in the morning. I didn’t take care of myself, I didn’t take care of my health, and I did not invest as much time in my relationships as I would have liked to. I worked. I slept. I ate. And I worked.
I never took time to slow down, smell the roses, and enjoy the day. Life was passing by while I was consumed by work. One autumn night casted its darkness upon me; and, in that dimness I could not see clearly, I could just feel. I felt lost, I felt overwhelmed; and, despite my schedule being completely filled, I felt unfulfilled.
Years of practicing the art of self-care have passed ever since. Today, my biggest goal is to maximize the joy of each day I am gifted. Today, I am a travelling, dream chasing, tea enthusiast who is passionate about helping women style a lovely life through simple and beautiful living.
Ask yourself this: What have I done today that feels kind, nourishing, and inspiring for my well-being, for my happiness?
If you do not have answers to that question every night, then you, my dear friend, could benefit from self-care.
What is self-care?
Self-care means different things to different people. The ultimate goal is to make yourself a priority. Invest plenty of time, love, kindness, and care into improving the quality of your life.
Self-care involves taking simple actions that positively affect your mind, body, and soul. Many women do not have the time to think about themselves amid all that each day asks of them. We work hard to nurture others; yet, we forget, that we must take care of ourselves in order to be in a healthy and happy state that empowers us to continue taking care of our loved ones.
Several important women in my life have developed illnesses due to their lack of self-care. They all have full-time jobs and take care of their homes and everyone in it every waking hour. There was a business owner who worked so hard for so many years that working became her idea of fun. Regrettably, her poor diet and lack of time for exercise, coupled with ever increasing stress caused her to surrender to illness, and she had to be hospitalized. Fortunately, she is recovering and making self-care a priority, and I am glad of it, as I am quite fond of her.
I wanted to help these women. I wanted to help as many women as I could. I wrote the inspirational book Laugh, Love, Lick Chocolate Frosting as a gentle, loving, kind reminder from a friend. I inspire you to nourish your body and soul with fun (laugh), to nurture your heart (love), to calm and delight your mind and spirit (lick chocolate frosting).
Through online coaching, I work with a limited number of women each month to help them develop a self-care plan as wonderful and unique as they are. My clients are busy women with a variety of lifestyles and schedules—from working mothers to professionals and business owners. Everyone has different goals; some women hope to find a balance between their personal and professional lives, and others want to nourish their well-being.
My clients are beautifully amazing women who play many roles. At heart, they are wonderful souls who are following their dreams and doing their best to love and care for their family and friends, too. They are professionals and business owners who lead busy and stimulating lives. They too must take time to nourish their hearts and souls. As a self-care coach, I derive great pleasure from helping each woman learn to enjoy life more, indulge herself in life's sweet little luxuries, and celebrate and love herself.
Laugh, Love, Lick Chocolate Frosting!
Busy Belle's Self-Care Plan
Everyone has different needs for self-care, but overall, the goals of self-care are to discover a state of good mental and physical health, meet emotional needs, maintain one's relationships, and to reduce stress.
Self-care is applying beneficial activities—known as self-care activities—to your life in order to make a positive impact on your well-being. The type of self-care activities you engage in determine the type of impact you may experience. For physical self-care, one might eat healthy and exercise regularly, which have been proven to improve one’s state of mind. For mental well-being, one might try meditation. You can practice spiritual self-care in a plethora of ways such as embracing religion and prayer, and even reading about religious beliefs and practices of others. Spiritual self-care is not limited to religion. One can spend time volunteering to help others who are in need. You can connect with nature. Emotional self-care and relaxation can be pursued through fulfilling activities and delightful indulgences like eating at one’s favorite restaurant with good company, setting a daily afternoon tea time, taking a weekend trip, or pampering yourself.
10 Amazing Self-Care Tips for Overworked Women
Developing a self-care plan requires contemplation and dedication, but this is an investment that pays of indefinitely. Consider these ten amazing self-care tips for busy women that I share with my self-care coaching clients.
- Self-care is a necessity. It is critical for a healthy and fulfilling life. Wake up with this attitude. This will make it feel more natural and easy to pursue self-care.
- Make a commitment to self-care. Every goal requires intention and dedication. Mark it on your calendar. Schedule a great self-care activity on a day you are free. Pencil in simple self-care acts in the middle of your daily routine.
- Have a holistic self-care plan. A complete self-care plan should have three components: physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- Nourish your body. Make a commitment to get enough sleep, eat healthy, and exercise regularly. Give your body a chance to rest and recuperate by getting plenty of sleep rather than working late into the night. Eat nutritious foods by making healthier food choices and waking a few minutes earlier to prepare a fresh salad for lunch. Make time for exercise despite how busy your schedule is, even if it means you have to shut your office door for twenty minutes to dance. Go for a walk around the block during the slower part of the day.
- Nurture your heart. Listen to you heart. What does it need? Do you need to spend more quality time with your loved ones? Do you need to play with pets? Do you need to go out with friends? Do you need to practice self-love? Think about which of these is missing from your day and actually plan activities that will warm your heart.
- Enliven your soul. Having fun is good for both the body and the soul, so plan a fun outdoor activity with family or friends. Working may be your idea of fun, and you may consider your career to be the most interesting thing in your life, but you need to find other ways to enjoy life and lift your spirits.
- Make time for recreation. Improve mental well-being through relaxation and calming leisure activities such as hiking or biking. Find a pleasant hobby exclusively for enjoyment.
- Pay attention to your needs. Check in with yourself regularly. Ask yourself if you are working too much. Do you feel overwhelmed? Think about what you need to take away from your schedule. Think about what you would like to add.
- Enjoy life. Don’t work your life away. To prevent burnout, take time to delight in things that bring you joy.
- Celebrate Happy Rosy Day. Dedicate at least one day of the week to your joy and contentment – a Happy Rosy Day. Every Friday, focus on the little things that make you smile. Pamper yourself. Indulge in life’s sweet little luxuries. Write about your positive thoughts, magical moments, and beautiful experiences in a blank notebook that you can use as your self-care journal. This can help you keep track of delightful activities that bring you joy so you can pursue them often.
Try different self-care activities until you find those that feel the most rewarding. Once you implement a self-care plan, stay committed to it, and surely, you will slowly start experiencing a positive change in your well-being and your happiness. Remember: laugh, love, lick chocolate frosting!
Have a question about self-care? Want to connect with a self-care coach? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to help!